Child Support LAwyers in Suffolk and Portsmouth
Virginia Legal Representation for Child Support Rights
If you are going through a divorce or separation and you have children, then you probably have a million questions. Knowing where to turn can be difficult.
At Kozak, Davis & Renninger we know how stressful the process of separating can be and we are here for you. An experienced Portsmouth child support attorney can help ensure that your rights are protected and that the best interest of your children remains the priority. We serve Portsmouth, Suffolk and Western Branch, VA.
Need help getting financial support for your child? Contact us online or call (757) 364-0923 for help with your child support case!
Can a Child Support Order be Modified?
After child support in Portsmouth, Virginia is ordered by a judge, it is not necessarily set in stone. Child support can be modified if one of the parties experiences a significant change in their circumstances.
Common reasons for modifying child support include, but are not limited to:
- Job loss / a significant pay cut
- An increase in the child's basic necessities and expenses
- An increase in the child's medical needs
- Remarriage of the custodial parent
If you need the court to modify a child support order, then speak with a Portsmouth child support attorney today to see if you have a case.
How Is Child Support Calculated in VA?
In Virginia, both parents are required to contribute to the financial support of their shared children, but determining who is responsible to pay child support in Portsmouth, Virginia, and in what amount, can be a complicated matter.
Virginia has child support guidelines to calculate child support payments, but there are many variables and it is rarely a straightforward matter. These variables include:
- The number of minor children you have together
- The net monthly income of both the custodial and non-custodial parent
- If applicable, the amount of alimony being paid by the non-custodial parent to an ex-spouse from a previous relationship
- The monthly cost of daycare which is being paid for by the custodial parent
- The monthly cost of any family group healthcare insurance, also paid for by the custodial parent
Child support can become complex, which is why you should hire a child custody lawyer near you that is familiar with Virginia's child support laws and guidelines.
Why You Need a Portsmouth Child Support Attorney
Our child support attorney in Portsmouth is well-versed on how these cases are handled and will help you collect all necessary documentation of your income and financial resources, ensuring all your paperwork is in order to help you reach a fair child support agreement.
Our child support lawyer in Portsmouth, VA will help you collect and organize all necessary financial documentation, including:
- Tax returns
- Bank statements
- Credit card receipts
- Other income, such as commissions, bonuses, and benefits
- Other documentation of debt
- Proof of childcare expenses
- Proof of disability expenses, if applicable
- Proof of other expenses for the child, such as tuition, medical treatment, etc.
Diligent & Detail-Oriented Legal Representation
At Kozak, Davis & Renninger we take an aggressive, detail-oriented approach to your case. We work hard to thoroughly investigate your situation, and will make sure that you are aware of all of your legal options.
When you are going through a divorce or separation, your number one concern is for your children. We will use our knowledge and experience to help you achieve an equitable child support agreement.
Have questions about child support in Virginia? Call our Portsmouth child support lawyers today at (757) 364-0923 to start discussing your case.